FrontlineSMS

FrontlineSMS let users send, receive and manage SMS over a mobile network.

Is anyone using Clickatell along with Frontline? I'd like to know the benefits of doing this and any cost implications. eg. are outgoing SMS rates cheaper using a gateway like this? Why combine it with Frontline? Does anyone have an experience?

Views: 409

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Katherine,

The main advantage of using Clickatell to send SMS messages is that it will send much quicker than through a phone. It is often cheaper too - you can check costs here http://www.clickatell.com/pricing/message_cost.php

The drawback with using Clickatell is that it requires a working internet connection. However, if your internet connection is not working, FrontlineSMS will detect this, and send the messages through other connected devices. Also (currently) you will still need a phone attached to FrontlineSMS to receive messages.

Hope this helps!

Alex
How do I connect to clickatell using frontline. I have used my clickatell API ID, username and password. Frontline gives message that connection not detected.
Hi Aluta,

Have you followed the instructions on this page? You must remember to click "Add" when you have finished entering the account details in the "Clickatell Account Management" screen. Once this is done, the Clickatell account should appear on the Phones tab even if it cannot connect.

Cheers,

Alex
Ok, I will try it again and let you know.
Hi,

I managed to connect. How do I manage surveys using clickatell HTTP?
Hi Aluta

FrontlineSMS can only currently send messages through Clickatell, not receive any, so you cannot run surveys this way. If you want to get responses from users, you will need to attach a phone or modem to your computer, and register the mobile number you are using (with Clickatell), and set that number as the reply number on your outgoing Clickatell messages.

Instructions for doing this are in the Help section ("Settings").

Ken
Thanks Ken.
Hey Ken et al. :) Any plans for adding this "receive messages via Clickatell" functionality to FLSMS? Haven't really thought through how that would work exactly, but thinking it would be nice to have a single messaging channel. Playing with Clickatell right now...
Hey James!

We should add the return support for Clickatell soon, but it does cost money to use these services (in case you didn't know).

We do support IntelliSMS both ways (again you have to pay them something). Might be worth playing with that instead. ;o) The team behind the Ushahidi project in Madagascar (Foko) are using this functionality, which gets return messages in via email. Check the "Help" files in FrontlineSMS for more.

Ken

This seems like an old thread, but I am interested to know if it is already possible to also receive messages through Clickatell ? Maybe through the FLSMS Http trigger in some way?

With IntelliSMS is it only possible through the email function ?

If I can negotiate with my local mobile service provider to get access to their SMS gateway, is there a way to configure this in FLSMS?

Thanks - Arie

Hi Arie,

> is it already possible to also receive messages through Clickatell ? Maybe through the FLSMS Http trigger in some way?

This is likely possible to configure in version 1.7.  It's currently in testing, but I can let you know when a public beta is available.

> With IntelliSMS is it only possible through the email function ?

WIth IntelliSMS it is directly configurable through the FrontlineSMS interface.  IntelliSMS forwards SMS to email, and FrontlineSMS fetches them from there.

> If I can negotiate with my local mobile service provider to get access to their SMS gateway, is there a way to configure this in FLSMS?

Depending on how your local mobile service provider allows access to their SMS gateways, then it could well be possible to configure FrontlineSMS to interface with them - either through the HTTP Trigger and External Command Action, or if that is not possible then by writing some extra Java code.  If you can find out what APIs they provide, then we can advise the simplest way to integrate with them.

Best,

Alex

Thanks Alex,

I got Clickatell sending going.

The receiving is still to local modem, as users need to send to a local number.

Regards

Arie

RSS

© 2014   Created by FrontlineSMS Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service