I've just tried installing FrontlineSMS2 in order to hook it up to an Ushahidi installation. However, it seems that I can not link the two together. Is this (currently?) not possible?
Ushahidi requires an http action from FrontlineSMS in order to pass SMS up to it. This is not yet built in version 2 - see our upcoming features page for more on when you can expect to see this.
It is already built in version 1, and you can access this through the External Commands keyword on the advanced drop-down in the Keywords tab.
I hope this is helpful,
Indeed it does. I was wondering whether I was overlooking this functionality in FrontlineSMS2.
Also, in case you're interested, I couldn't get my USB modem working with FrontlineSMS2 until after I had installed FrontlineSMS first.
This should not be the case - it uses the same approach to connecting the modem. Did you install the modem driver software before installing FrontlineSMS v2?
If you mean the software that came with the modem, yes.
I first installed v2, which then required me to fill in the details of the modem by hand. v1 Autodected the modem, which seemingly was then picked up by v2.
Version 2 now autodetects the modem - it may be you are running an old build, and updating this should resolve the issue.
That said, if you're looking for Ushahidi integration it might be wise to stick with v1 for now and keep an eye on the newsletter/blog for updates.
I will. Thanks.
I might have had an old build, but it's the version I downloaded from the Frontline website this very morning.
Interesting, thanks. Can you just let us know which OS you're using?
Hmm. I'll have the devs try and replicate the bug. Is this the first time you've downloaded v2? Thanks - all the info you can give us helps us improve the software!
Can't reply to you. I suppose ning runs out of hierarchical comments after a few layers.
Yes, was the first time I downloaded v2.
I'm not clear how v2 could have detected the modem automatically. I had to explicitly add the modem by hand, specifying baudrate and COM port.
Thanks - I'll get them to look at it as this is looking like a bug. What should happen is similar as with v1 - autodetects those settings and then goes green after about a minute or two.
Ah. Well, it's possible I was too eager and that in the minutes between me giving up on v2 and installing v1, v2 had autodetected the modem, meaning that detection wasn't caused by me installing v1.
Then again, v1 identified the modem in seconds, whereas v2, then, took significantly longer.