I have decided to buy a modem to use it for my project. I en quired in the market and o found these modems:
Place : SP road, Bangalore, India
1) Huawei E153 - rupees 2500 (1.2 mbps speed)
2) Huawei E173 - rupees 2700 (7.2 mbps speed)
3) Wavecom Fasttrack serial modem - rupees 2200
I am buying it on march 9th , thats tomorrow. Please advice the right one , as the shopkeepers do not allow an exchange.
Also, what one shopkeeper has given me a chance to check Huawei E153, how do i check the compatibility with FLSMS on the spot. Post a tip please .
All GSM modems should work with FrontlineSMS, particularly the Huawei ones. We can't test the ones you have listed because we don't have them here, but if you have the opportunity to test the E153 then I would try that. The way to test it would be to:
1. Insert a SIM card with credit into the modem
2. Make sure there is no PIN number set on the SIM (if there is, you'll need to remove it using a regular phone)
3. Install the modem drivers on your computer
4. With the modem attached, start FrontlineSMS
5. FrontlineSMS should detect and connect to the modem (in the "Phones" tab)
6. Try sending and receiving an SMS
If in (5) FrontlineSMS doesn't detect the modem, you need to look at the "Troubleshooting" section in the Help files, where there is advice on how to solve connection issues.
Let us know how you get on.
Thanks Mr. Kiwanja, I will be going to buy the modem tomorrow. Will update the status soon.
Hope it will help the FLSMS team to add another device on to their list .
Thanks for the help, I got Huawei E 173, the modem working completely fine. I am able to send and receive sms. I am working on windows platform. So you can add this to the modem list. The speed is also good.
I can carry on with my project now, will post back if i have any problem.
Good luck with your project, and please let us know how you get on and what you build. \o/
Hi Joseph :-)
U can buy either Huawei 153 or 173
Huawei 153 - speed is 3.2mbps cost =2500 rupees
Huawei 173 - speed is 7.2mbps cost =2700 rupees
You will get both at the following address :
IT GAIN COMPUTERS
#1,A.M.LANE, S.P.ROAD,BANGALORE -560002
Just to say, the mbps speed will only apply if you also use the modem for Internet connectivity. With FrontlineSMS, this speed will not effect the number of messages you can send or receive, or the speed of the sending/receiving.
Just thought you might want to save 200 Rupees!