FrontlineSMS

FrontlineSMS let users send, receive and manage SMS over a mobile network.

Hi there,

I have just recently downloaded FLSMS version 1.6.16.3 and am testing it out before we start using it with some community radio stations in Zambia. It mostly seems to be working fine except that the occasional message received is being duplicated multiple times. This in turn triggers the sending of multiple responses based on the keyword that is in that text. In short, one message becomes 30 messages, triggering 30 responses, and my balance goes down a whole lot faster than desired!

Any idea why this is happening? I'm using a Huawei E1550 modem.

And whilst I'm at it, is there a way to change the currency of the cost estimator down in the bottom righthand corner?

Will appreciate any advice you can offer! Many thanks.

(In case it's not already apparent, I'm not fantastically tech savvy, so the more layman's speak you use, the better)

Tags: multiple, texts

Views: 176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kate

Sorry to hear you're having problems with this.

Is there any pattern to the multiple incoming texts, i.e. are they coming from the same phone? Are they coming in with the same time stamp (which is displayed on the "Home" screen), or are the times different?

Although this is unlikely the cause, you might want to check that FrontlineSMS is deleting the messages from the modem once they're read. You can do this by going to the "Phones" tab, and then right-clicking on the modem name in the list, and selecting the settings. Make sure that messages are deleted after receipt by ticking the appropriate box. (If this wasn't ticked then it may be the problem, so see how you get on from now on in).

If that doesn't solve it, the next time this happens can you go to the "Help" menu and submit an error report, and let us know when you've done it. We can then get Alex, our lead developer, to take a look at what's going on.

Thanks.

Ken

Wow. What a swift reply. Thanks Ken.

So far the texts are all from the same phone (given that I'm only testing it with two phones though I'm not sure whether that's significant) and they are coming in with the same time stamp. Thus far it's happened twice in the space of 10 received messages. I just double-checked and there were 57 duplicates in total when it last happened.

I checked the phones tab as suggested and the 'delete messages from phone' box was already ticked, so that's not the problem.

I'll continue sending texts and will submit a report when/ if it happens again.

Thanks for the help,

Kate

Hi Kate,

It would also be good if you can increase your logging level - this should give us much clearer details to the cause of the duplicate messages if they occur again.

Here are instructions for increasing the logging: modify file log4j.properties in ~/FrontlineSMS/properties/.  Change the line:

log4j.logger.org.smslib=ERROR

to

log4j.logger.org.smslib=ALL

Thanks,

Alex

Have changed those settings... and am about to send an error report - hopefully that will give you something. unfortunately the duplicate messages haven't been appearing again, but there are two other things I have noticed:

1) The automatic replies that are triggered by the keywords are said to have been sent even though they haven't (the SIM currently has no credit)

2) The timestamp for the replies is different between the homescreen and the Messages screen. Strangely the message screen shows them as having been sent before the original message was received.

Will let you know if any other duplicates arrive.....

the error message report failed, but did manage to generate a compressed log file (see attached)...

Thanks!

Attachments:

Hi again Alex. Any further ideas on what could be causing the multiple messages? It happened again today. I'm also struggling to submit error reports.

We're meant to be putting this out to our partnering community radio stations next week so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Kate

Hi Kate,

We've uncovered a bug that is causing these duplicate messages and are working on a fix.  I will let you know when a test build is available containing the fix.

Alex

That's great news Alex. Will look forward to the fix.

Incidentally, will the fix also be attempting to deal with any of the glitches I raised in my other discussion post? - http://frontlinesms.ning.com/forum/topics/issues-when-viewing-messa...

Appreciate all your work!

Kate

Yes, these should be fixed too - sorry for not replying to the other post.

Hi Kate,

the message history issue has been resolved as well.

All of these fixes will be available in next version of FrontlineSMS.

Morgan

Hi Kate,

You can get a release candidate including the fix from https://sourceforge.net/projects/frontlinesms/files/test/1.6.17-RC1/ - please let me know how you get on with this build.

Alex

Fantastic! Will test out the new build and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

RSS

© 2014   Created by FrontlineSMS Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service