I have been trying to test Frontline Forms here in the US before it is deployed overseas. I have successfully configured a GSM modem to act as my server, and I have successfully installed the Forms client on my LG LX-370 that runs off of Sprint's CDMA network.
The problem comes when I attempt to "Get New Forms" using the client. It always says "Permission Error -- You must give this application permission to use networking. You may need to restart the app to allow this to happen." I then exit the app, set "Permissions" to "Always Allow" network access, and still the same things happen. I've tried restarting the phone and even re-installing the app.
Thinking it was a Sprint issue, I registered my phone as a development device, which is supposed to open up JSR-120, the Java messaging protocol. That didn't seem to make a difference. I even tried to get into the phone using BitPim, but my LX370 wasnt supported.
I tried using Sprint's Wireless Toolkit to modify the app, but that didn't work, and my Java knowledge is almost zero.
I then used Nokia PC Suite to load a Nokia 6133 with the 6133-specific Forms app, but it's a T-mobile phone and they're apparently even more restrictive than Sprint.
I'm reaching the boundaries of my competence and would really like to test Forms! Can anyone help me out?
From what I've heard, US carriers are very restrictive with JavaME application permissions, and so (as you've found) it's very difficult to get a carrier-branded phone to work with an application like FrontlineForms. You may have more luck getting hold of an unbranded and unlocked handset.
Hopefully someone with more experience of US handsets can give some more info.
Thanks, Alex -- that's exactly what I was afraid of. Two questions follow, then:
1. I know unlocked handsets are out there, but what about unbranded? Do you have to flash the firmware yourself, or buy direct from the manufacturer?
2. Are international carriers less restrictive with the use of JavaME apps? We want to be able to deploy this in several countries, but what I'm hearing is that it might be too much of a headache, given the specificity of permissions.
Great news! Do share your secret - perseverance?
Yes, I suppose so -- I attempted to debrand the phone, but a simple hard factory reset appeared to allow apps to access messaging. It was extremely helpful to have a variety of phones and data cables to test and tinker with -- they all respond differently.
"HowardForums" was an excellent resource, though you have to plow through a lot to get leads on new techniques to try. Feel free to contact me for more specific info!
Hi Jay, could you tell me how you input the server's phone number on your phone? I keep getting an error when my phone tried to connect to the server to download the form. I suspect it's because of the way I input the phone number. I'm testing this in the US too. Thanks.
In the server software and the phone, you need to eliminate all dashes. On the client phone I put in the country code and a + (the star key), so it reads +1202650XXXX in the server.
However, if you're getting a permissions error, it probably has to do with the J2ME permissions on the phone. What model phone and network are you using?
Thanks, Jay, for the very prompt response. I don't have a permission error, just the following error:
An unknown error
Someone on this forum has already diagnosed this as a problem with the way he input the server's phone number. I'm using a Blackberry to test right now. I will try to get other types of phone to test too to see if I keep getting this error. I have tried the way you input the phone number but still got the same error.
Hmm -- the only time I saw that was when I tested the permissions without a SIM card installed. It went away once I had installed a SIM. Blackberries probably add a layer of complication.
Only other possibility is whether you've added the client-phone's number as a contact on the FLSMS software. Worth double-checking to make sure everything's configured correctly!
Just to let you know that, as Jay suggests below, using a Blackberry will likely be causing you some problems, and is not recommended for testing with FrontlineSMS. In order to get started with Forms you should look to test on one of the devices suggested here on the FrontlineSMS website: http://www.frontlinesms.com/resources/frontlineforms/
Please do let us know how you get on, and / or if you need any further help.
All the Best,