FrontlineSMS

FrontlineSMS let users send, receive and manage SMS over a mobile network.

FS2: Smart groups - Freeze - Reinstall+database still alive

I'm using Win7 with the Huawei E173. No problem with it since it's quickly auto-connected with FrontlineSMS2.

I imported a database of 444 contacts with special notes fields' names. If you look at the contact_view.jpg, you will see what i'm talking about. I did like this for easiness of reading. The import with special notes was with no problem. (Now it may have been this which created some of the problems.)

Then I started to create my Smart Groups. I wanted to filter all "Talent.Acting" for example (like you see in the attached picture. When clicking to see the created smart group, it appeared page saying that an exception occurred and that we can send the log to you.

Then from the Message Tab, I pressed "quick message" and the entire windows got frozen. I closed the browser windows and terminated the process in the Windows Task Manager.

Then I thought the only way to get rid of these bad smart groups would be to uninstall FS. I did that and re-install after rebooting and cleaning the registries. Result: when I opened FS afterwards,I discovered that all my contacts and smart groups were still there.

Do you have a way which I could use to "hardly" reset the database to blank?

I know it's many problems in one Post. Sorry.

Views: 216

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Josephine
Now that you've restarted FrontlineSMS, is smart groups still giving you an exception error?

Laura

Hi Josephine,

We've looked into this issue and there is indeed a bug in the software. We've managed to resolve the bug this morning, so we should have a new installer released that fixes it at some point today.

When you update to the new version, it should pick up your existing database and you will be able to create and use the smart groups you described above.

Thanks for sharing your bug report, and we will update you here once the release is available.

Sitati

Hi Laura and Sitati,

First of all I would like to thank you for your promptness to answer the problem. I highly appreciate.

Yes when I re-installed FSMS2, the smart groups and the entire contact database was there. When I clicked on the "Acting" smart group, I got the error again.

Let me know when a new installer (new release I assume) will be ready. 

When I imported my existing database (csv file with "Groups", "Emails" columns), I saw that it didn't import in the your fields. Other fields where created. I wanted to use "Groups" for sending different messages to different groups. When I saw that your pre-defined "Groups" field stayed empty after importation, I chose to use the "Smart Groups". Now i hope that I will be able to send Quick message to "smart group".

Can you confirm this to me?

Josephine

Hi Josephine,

Yes, when the new release is out later today (hopefully), then you'll be able to send messages to smart groups.

Thanks for your patience, and for pointing out the bug! It really helps us to make the application better.

Best wishes

Laura

Hi Josephine

The new download is now available from our download page! Thanks again for highlighting a pesky bug.

Laura

I uninstalled the previous version and install your new one.

All time of the tests, the Modem was properly configured (the status is green).

I observed that my database of contacts was not deleted (proposal: When uninstalling, it will be good to offer the possibility of keeping or deleting the contacts). All my smart groups were here. I was actually looking for my contact database to be deleted and I wanted to import myself again afterwards.

I clicked on the "Acting" smart group and got the same error again (see attached log).

Then from the "messages" tab, I clicked on "quick message" and waited more than 5 min and nothing happened. I closed FSMS and re-opened it again, waited for the modem to be successfully configured.

From there, the Messages Tab, I clicked on the first option of "Create new Activity". Same thing happened. The system doesn't respond at all (the Loading circle status never change) and nothing happened on the screen. I still can't send messages.

Am I doing something wrong? Something I missed?

Attachments:

Hi Josephine

Can you try uninstalling, deleting the database, and installing again?  It might be a database issue. Thanks for the idea in terms of providing the option to delete the database - very useful!

Laura

Hi Laura,

In your answer, you say: installing FSMS then delete the database. How to do that once FSMS is uninstalled?  It will help me to know if there is a way.

Using the new release of FSMS (v 2.0.2.1), I tried today to delete all my 400 contacts manually (within the Contacts Tab). I first deleted the smart groups which didn't create any trouble (i left "Acting" and "Vol" because i can't delete them - they are basically empty - each time I click on one of them, an error page comes (you can see this in the log i sent you earlier)). After deleting all the smart groups that were not empty, I started deleting the contacts. I wanted to do this like i did before, by selecting all the visible contacts of the page and then press delete all.

This time I encountered another problem (see the attached picture). I couldn't delete the contacts. As soon as I selected more than 9 contacts in the same time, FSMS became unstable and I couldn't delete the selected contacts.

Do you have a solution for this problem?  The version 2.0.1 of FSMS didn't have this problem.

Another idea for improvement here: once you close the Firefox browser windows that FSMS uses, the process of FSMS is still running. So we need to go to the Task Manager of Windows to kill the process before restarting FSMS. It will be nice to have a button to properly close the application.

Josephine

Attachments:

THe problem starts when you selected 10 names, the unresponsive script windows appears. Then if you stop the script and wait 30 seconds, the system will come back to normal and you will be able to delete the 10 selected contacts.

Each time you select more one additional contact above the 10 that you already selected, then the unresponsive script window will appear.

Another idea for improvement here:

Make the delete contacts easier process. For example, it will be good to be able to select all the 50 contacts at once in order to delete them. 

Last friday, after installing the new version 2.0.2.1, i tested and got this reaction:

From the "messages" tab, I clicked on "quick message" and waited more than 5 min and nothing happened. I closed FSMS and re-opened it again, waited for the modem to be successfully configured.

From there, the Messages Tab, I clicked on the first option of "Create new Activity". Same thing happened. The system doesn't respond at all (the Loading circle status never change) and nothing happened on the screen. I still can't send messages.

I tried again today, July 4, and same thing is happening.

Can you reproduce this problem from your side?

Hi Josephine,

I am currently trying to recreate the issue you just mentioned in your latest post.

But with regards to deleting the database, go to your home folder( On Windows 7 or Window Vista it should look something like this: C:\Users\username ).

You will see a folder named .frontlinesms2. Navigate to that folder and delete the file "prodDb.h2.db"

The extension ".db" will probably be hidden so you will see "prodDb.h2". This file is the database , if you delete this file then you will have a black database.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2014   Created by FrontlineSMS Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service