Hello FrontlineSMS Team,
I've tried out both versions of the FrontlineSMS software. I seem to prefer version 1, especially because I'm able to create sub-groups within the larger groups. Can't seem to do that with version 2. Anyways, after successful test session, version 1 is now unable to launch on my computer.
Here is the log...
class java.lang.NullPointerException :: null
What exactly might be the problem and how should I resolve it?
Background info: Mine is a PC, not Apple. And OS is Windows 7.
Oh, and a quick addition: I'm not much of a techie. I love tech stuff but don't have much tech skills (which is why I love the simplicity of FrontlineSMS).
Which release version of frontlinesms 1 are you using? This will help us diagnose the problem further.
Ooops! I'm afraid I've been away for a few days. Anyways, my application is Frontline SMS ver. 22.214.171.124. In the meantime, I'll try what you've suggested below and report back. Thanks for your time.
Delete this file C:\Users\Your-Username\FrontlineSMS\properties\ui.properties then restart the application.
Uh-oh! There's a problem. A couple, actually...
1. First, the file, as stated above does not exist. Not sure why.
2. Still, what I found was C:\Users\Your-Username\.frontlinesms2. There was a properties file there and I deleted it. Still, no desired response.
While I await your help, it's occurred to me to try resetting my system to an earlier date. Maybe that'll help when I re-install the application. Just a thought.... In the meantime, I hope to hear from you soon. Thanx!
Oooops! Just discovered I can't use SysRes to sort me out...my computer had not had a SysRes point created before today. :( I guess I'll wait to hear from you. Again, thanx for your time.