FrontlineSMS

FrontlineSMS let users send, receive and manage SMS over a mobile network.

I am new to FrontlineSMS and just getting started. I am wondering whether it is possible to send sms to a group of people even if I do not have access to computer. Can I do this by simply using my mobile phone?

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Pallavi,

Thanks for your post. FrontlineSMS software runs on a laptop or desktop computer, with a USB or phone connected. You can send SMS to a group of people through your mobile phone without the use of FrontlineSMS, but in order to make use of FrontlineSMS functionalities (such as managing SMS in contact groups, setting up auto-replies, exporting and analysing data etc.) you need to run the software from a computer or laptop. 

You can read more about FrontlineSMS functionalities in our Help Files. Please note we also have a data collection tool  called FrontlineForms, which works slightly differently, and you can find out more about this here.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks

Flo

Hi Florence,

Thank you for the response.

I do realize that FrontlineSMS runs from the computer. It's just that sometimes when we suddenly see riot in the street, which is not unusual here for safety concern we want to report this to a certain group of people like say around 70 to 80. Since you cant have access to computer or laptop at such time (night or day/or have people readily available to update online) we have been using cell phone to SMS. However, we have found difficulty sending sms from a mobile phone even though we might have created a group in the cell phone. So, I was wondering whether there were any other alternative. If FronlineSMS cannot be operated directly from a 3G cell phone do you know of any other platform that does?

Thank you for your quick reply.

Pallavi

Hi Pallavi,

Thanks for further information / context on your question. It is possible to use a phone to send a text message with a keyword into FrontlineSMS which will then forward directly onto a contact group. You can read more about doing this here in our help files: http://help.frontlinesms.com/manuals/1.6.16.3/keywordActions/autofo.... This is a useful function (although there are programme considerations to take into account when using it - monitoring content that gets auto-forwarded, cost of outgoing SMS etc).

I hope this is helpful, but please feel free to ask if you have further questions. 

Thanks

Flo

Hi Florence,

Thanks once again for the quick response.

Am wondering whether the auto-response works even when the computer where frontlineSMS is downloaded is switched off. Does this mean that the computer needs to be running all the time for auto-response to function?

Best

Pallavi

Hi Pallavi 

Yes the computer needs to be on all the time for you to use the Keyword feature.

Best of luck

:)

Domingo

Thanks, Domingo, for responding here. Pallavi - as Domingo says, the FrontlineSMS system does have to be on and running for the auto-forward to work.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, and feel free to keep us updated on whether you decide to use FrontlineSMS in your work.

Thanks 

Flo 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2014   Created by FrontlineSMS Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service