FrontlineSMS

FrontlineSMS let users send, receive and manage SMS over a mobile network.

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the forums and I'm having a difficult time finding a hardware solution for testing FLSMS in the USA.

The deployment is going to be in Nairobi and I know they have the necessary hardware/software configuration there. However, I want to set up, customize and test the system before sending it over.

I have a Macbook Pro.

My questions are this:

-- Do I need two SIM cards or one? Which carrier?

-- Where do I find a GSM modem that works?

-- How much is all this going to cost?

I think the RapidSMS system is probably easier to deploy in many respects, but it requires a lot more technical knowledge. FrontlineSMS seems much easier from a front-end perspective, but the backend is not nearly as easy as described in the initial download instructions.

Any help is appreciated.

Tags: Kenya, gsm, hardware, howto, modems, testing, usa

Views: 835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for letting us know, Max! And good work.  \o/

GsM modem (ebay) $35 refurbished option 461 usb modem. Go Phone Simcard Free, Unlimited text $20/month.

Simple set-up Do NOT buy a gophone. Get an At&t gophone sim card instead. details are on this site. Read a few posts you will save much time and headache.
Thanks for chipping in, Ed. You're a superstar! \o/
What services do people use to get a short code in the US that isn't too expensive?
You don't need a short code, your clients just reply to the same number from their cell, just use Keywords, that should make it.

Regards,
Hi Raina

See my previous reply to your question on this.

Ken
I bought a few Sierra Mercury for At&t on Ebay for about $15 .. then I bought the SIM card also on Ebay for $3 then I active the Sim card using the Imen on the GSm Modem .. it works perfectly... !!! At&t has a few options in terms on sms packages $2 for 200 sms at month $9 for a 1000 and $19 unlimited sms...

If someone need some help.. let me know!!!

Regards,
Has anyone used verizon instead of AT&T or Tmobile?
Hi Raina, you can't use Verizon b/c they don't use GSM, I think they used CDMA or something like that. I think in the U.S., you have to use either AT&T or Tmobile.
Raina,

Verizon uses CDMA technology for their mobile networks. The only major US carriers that use GSM (a global standard), are AT&T and T-Mobile.

This may help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_wireless_communi...

regards,
Tom
According to Verizon, they have a GSM called a Fivespot....any idea if that is real or if it works? http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst...
Raina,

Yes it's real and contains an HSPA modem for GSM use abroad. This is like a mifi device which allows multiple users to share (tether) a broadband connection. This one just happens to work with both CDMA and GSM. Not sure if this would work with FrontlineSMS. Your best best is one of the Sierra Wireless modems mentioned on this forum.

From http://www.slashgear.com/verizon-fivespot-hands-on-14108077/
However, unlike the MiFi 2200, the FiveSpot also packs an HSPA modem for use on GSM/WCDMA networks; that means travelers to Europe and other destinations can still get a data connection, though of course roaming data rates are significantly higher than Verizon’s domestic rates.

Tom

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2014   Created by FrontlineSMS Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service