FrontlineSMS

FrontlineSMS let users send, receive and manage SMS over a mobile network.

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the forums and I'm having a difficult time finding a hardware solution for testing FLSMS in the USA.

The deployment is going to be in Nairobi and I know they have the necessary hardware/software configuration there. However, I want to set up, customize and test the system before sending it over.

I have a Macbook Pro.

My questions are this:

-- Do I need two SIM cards or one? Which carrier?

-- Where do I find a GSM modem that works?

-- How much is all this going to cost?

I think the RapidSMS system is probably easier to deploy in many respects, but it requires a lot more technical knowledge. FrontlineSMS seems much easier from a front-end perspective, but the backend is not nearly as easy as described in the initial download instructions.

Any help is appreciated.

Tags: Kenya, gsm, hardware, howto, modems, testing, usa

Views: 836

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does this mean that this modem would work for frontlinesms? Are there other Verizon modems that would work?
I'm not sure if it would work with FrontlineSMS, I've not tested it.
Why fight it? get a $30 gsm modem from ebay and get a goPhone sim card $19.99 unlimited texting.. it works..

Details of this are on the site.

You can also just go to At&t get a free modem.. pay $60 fora data plan and $20 for texting for a two year contract. Just make sure you do NOT get the turbo connect modem from LG. It will not receive on FLsms.
The reason I am asking is that we have a grant from Verizon and would want to use it if their techonolgy is compatible. Has anyone ever tried the Fivespot or any other verizon technology?

Thanks!
I tried a 720I CDMA modem. Hardly any Sms program would recognize it... Even the ones that claimed to be CDMA compliant.

What I am asking is what is your time worth?

Go out get new modem... install, test.. it wont work.. write here, ask questions.. We ALL tell you CDMA wont work.... get a new CDMA modem.. repeat...

When you could have already deployed for under $50.

FrontLine and ALL SMS programs are very simple "undercapitalized" programs. They are all written to comply with the original AT command code compliance inherent in the GSM architecture.

Trying to get the CDMA equipment to work in a GSM environment is a lot like trying to operate your average car on diesel.... sure it CAN be done.. but is it worth the effort? Which is easier... redesigning your gasoline car to burn Diesel? or put Gas into the car and drive away?

SMS Texting itself was developed on the GSM architecture. Verizon later duplicated it on the CDMA networks. Verizon is a great company with great service in the USA.... But these SMS programs were not written in the USA.

You will be headache free and operational if you stop fighting the desire to use CDMA equipment for GSM purposes.

Good Luck to you.... I am trying to help you deploy rather than making the square peg fit the round hole.
====================
Haha, thanks for your advice. I certainly prefer the GSM choice and see where you are coming from-- now I just have to convince the higher ups :)

RSS

© 2014   Created by FrontlineSMS Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service