FrontlineSMS

FrontlineSMS let users send, receive and manage SMS over a mobile network.

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the forums and I'm having a difficult time finding a hardware solution for testing FLSMS in the USA.

The deployment is going to be in Nairobi and I know they have the necessary hardware/software configuration there. However, I want to set up, customize and test the system before sending it over.

I have a Macbook Pro.

My questions are this:

-- Do I need two SIM cards or one? Which carrier?

-- Where do I find a GSM modem that works?

-- How much is all this going to cost?

I think the RapidSMS system is probably easier to deploy in many respects, but it requires a lot more technical knowledge. FrontlineSMS seems much easier from a front-end perspective, but the backend is not nearly as easy as described in the initial download instructions.

Any help is appreciated.

Tags: Kenya, gsm, hardware, howto, modems, testing, usa

Views: 872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't have any answers, but I ditto all of your questions. How does someone in the US successfully use this product?
Hi Raina

If you read through this Forum post from the first page you'll find a few recommendations from users on how to get FrontlineSMS running in the US (including where to get the modems from). If you have any further questions feel free to send them a message - I'm sure they won't mind.

Ken
Mine works great. Gophone Sim card, refurbished modem for $30 Ebay unlimited text ofr $20/mo.

Details of getting it going are on this site. Be sure to read all of it to avoid the pitfalls I went through to make it work properly.

Do NOT buy a SUBSIDIZED gophone. Instead go to At&T and get a sim. IT will save you MUCH headache.

God Luck.
GsM modem (ebay) $35 refurbished option 461 usb modem. Go Phone Simcard Free, Unlimited text $20/month.

Simple set-up Do NOT buy a gophone. Get an At&t gophone sim card instead. details are on this site. Read a few posts you will save much time and headache.
Thanks for chipping in, Ed. You're a superstar! \o/
What services do people use to get a short code in the US that isn't too expensive?
I bought a few Sierra Mercury for At&t on Ebay for about $15 .. then I bought the SIM card also on Ebay for $3 then I active the Sim card using the Imen on the GSm Modem .. it works perfectly... !!! At&t has a few options in terms on sms packages $2 for 200 sms at month $9 for a 1000 and $19 unlimited sms...

If someone need some help.. let me know!!!

Regards,
You don't need a short code, your clients just reply to the same number from their cell, just use Keywords, that should make it.

Regards,
Hi Raina -

I'm in the US (South Bend, IN) and I've been testing a number of GSM modems with FLSMS, some of which send but don't receive, some receive but don't send. The two dependable modems I use now when I want to test FLSMS are:
AT&T Mercury Sierra Wireless Compass 885
AT&T Velocity Option 461

I'm fortunate to work in a telecommunications department in higher ed and a lot of these pass through our office, so mine were free :-D However, as others have suggested, you can find them on EBay for a small price. The SIMS I use are also AT&T, I've never tried another carrier SIM in the AT&T modems, but my guess is there might be SIM-lock issues.

Anyhow, follow this forum, tons of great advice. Let me know if you need nay help.

Tom
Hi Raina

See my previous reply to your question on this.

Ken
Tom,
I'd be interested to know what you tested that did not work. I was testing an Option GIO322, which would only send, but not receive. I also use ATT, but the cheaper $10 a month 1000 text messages.
Hi Jamie -

I've looked back through my notes and I cannot find anything on the model of the modem that didn't work. However, I have seen modems that could send but not receive, or vice versa and some that were just finicky to set up/install...more of a driver issue than anything.

I believe one of the FLSMS interns was working on setting up a database to make modem hardware selection easier by country, carrier, etc...I'll ping him (Adam), to see what the status is.

Another I found that worked was a Franklin CGU-628A, manufactured by C-motech --- I'm pretty sure this is the one that had issues installing drivers. But it did work, both send and receive.

best of luck,
Tom

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2015   Created by FrontlineSMS Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service