FrontlineSMS

FrontlineSMS let users send, receive and manage SMS over a mobile network.

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the forums and I'm having a difficult time finding a hardware solution for testing FLSMS in the USA.

The deployment is going to be in Nairobi and I know they have the necessary hardware/software configuration there. However, I want to set up, customize and test the system before sending it over.

I have a Macbook Pro.

My questions are this:

-- Do I need two SIM cards or one? Which carrier?

-- Where do I find a GSM modem that works?

-- How much is all this going to cost?

I think the RapidSMS system is probably easier to deploy in many respects, but it requires a lot more technical knowledge. FrontlineSMS seems much easier from a front-end perspective, but the backend is not nearly as easy as described in the initial download instructions.

Any help is appreciated.

Tags: Kenya, gsm, hardware, howto, modems, testing, usa

Views: 869

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Max

I'll leave others comment on your modem question.

Regarding your existing modem, it's strange that it's receiving but not sending. If it's being recognised by FrontlineSMS then it should work. A couple of quick questions (and sorry if we've already been over this):

1. Is there credit on the SIM?

2. If you put the SIM into a regular phone, does it send and receive?

3. Have you tried just sending a message to a single contact with different international dialing code options (+, 00, etc)?

If you're out of ideas here you could send us your error logs and we'll take a look. You can do that through the "Help" menu. Just let us know on your original thread if you decide to do that, then we'll know to look out for them.

Ken

Hi Ken,

It wasn't a FrontlineSMS problem. Apparently the SIM and the modem we bought were both locked. We spoke with T-mobile and they said they do not unlock SIMs anymore and the Prepaid modem and SIM that we bought weren't enabled for SMS. 

I have a new modem on the way based on recommendations in this forum and I got a GoPhone AT&T SIM to go with it, so I think (hope) everything will be working soon.

Thanks again for your response,

Max

Good to hear re: not a FrontlineSMS problem! But still a problem for you, none-the-less. Glad it looks to be resolved - best of luck going forward, and do keep us posted. Cheers, Ken

Hi Ken,

Just wanted to send an update. My new modem and SIM card arrived and seem to be working fine.

Also, for future reference, I got the Sierra Wireless 308 Mercury 4G modem which seems to connect, send and receive with no problems.

Cheers,

Max

Thanks for letting us know, Max! And good work.  \o/

Hey Ed,

I know it is a year later, but we are trying to simulate a system we hope to implement in Cameroon to no avail. Would you be willing to answer some questions? 

Thanks, 

Joellen

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2015   Created by FrontlineSMS Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service