FrontlineSMS

FrontlineSMS let users send, receive and manage SMS over a mobile network.

Please use this thread to share experiences using FrontlineSMS.

Views: 461

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Florence,

We do not use the SIM card for anything else.  I will see if I can purchase the modem you recommend here and get back to you. If any other thought surfaces please let me know.

Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah:

Sorry I got gobbled up by other work but Flo may be right I use the Huawei E173 and it works just fine.

I found another way to no lose messages. I turn on  the computer , fire up FrontlineSMS and just then, with the software running I plug the modem into the USB port.

I wait for the autorun Movistar to appear, but since it conflicts with Frontline SMS ports it doesn't download messages.

I shut it down and go to frontlineSMS and click again on autodetect modem.

Any incoming message will then download correctly.

This may help you avoid all the modem inbox catching your messages

Be well

Domingo

Hi Domingo,

No worries.  Where does the time go?  Thank you for the input.  I purchased a new modem, the Huawei E173 and trialed today.  Some messages went to modem software this time but I was given the option to not auto-run modem software when I installed so opted for that.  I will try starting FrontlineSMS first and then will plug in modem. Will let you know if that does the trick.

Thank you again for your support

Sarah

Hello Flo, Domingo and others,

Two new issues:

I have set up reminders for set messages and have not had success with them being sent automatically.  I have had to select resend after the time / date that was set had passed.  I am aware that there is a two hour time difference in the FLSMS program time log and the actual local time and have adjusted for that.  If I set a message to be sent the same day it sends but if it is a reminder for any day in the future it is not automatically sending.  I have to review reminders and resend those that were not delivered.  Any thoughts on what might be the problem here?   

Second thing I have recently noticed is that when writing in Spanish the use of an accent results in character count jumping to 3 or 4 messages in length (you see 3-4 envelopes highlighted).  When I remove the accent it goes back down to 1 message.  Will have to do a bit more testing but it does appear to be charging for multiple texts when using accents within the message.  I select message and do word count in a word document to verify that character count is actually <160.  Domingo have you had this issue here in Argentina?  I have currently been sending messages without accents.

I am finding and was informed by a local researcher using FLSMS that my issue of not consistently receiving messages may be an issue service reliability from particular phone companies.

Thanks and hope others projects are going well.    

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for getting in touch; its good to hear from you.

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with reminders. The reminders functionality is community-contributed code and it is still in beta, and this means there are some bugs that need to be worked out. We will be incorporating an improved version of the reminders functionality into the next release of FrontlineSMS due out later this year. Sorry I can't be of more immediate help with this but I will pass your issue onto the developers, and let you know if there is anything we can do to help with this in the meantime.

That is interesting about the increased message charges resulting from including an accent - I have not heard of this before, but will be interested to hear if Domingo / others have experienced the same thing. It may be that this is a bug in the system, so please do keep us posted on your further testing and I will pass this on to the team.

You are correct on the fact that service reliability and phone networks can have an impact on receiving messages sent via FrontlineSMS. I hope you aren't experiencing too many problems with this.

I hope all is going well with your project generally; it will be great to hear an update on this, and perhaps we could even feature your project as a guest post on our blog at some point \o/

All the Best

Hi Florence,

I am wondering if there have been any adjustments to Reminders?  I am still having the same problem with reminders not automatically sending for dates set in the future.  Only messages set to send the same day are sent automatically.  Otherwise all others we have to select Resend and review daily what did not get sent.  Also just discovered that there is a set limit of reminders that can be loaded.  Only one page.  After that no more reminders are saved once the page is full.  Is there another option for uploading/sending reminders through FrontlineSMS?

Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Its nice to hear from you. Unfortunately, there is no update following my comments above - the reminders functionality of  the current version of FrontlineSMS will likely remain in beta, but we hope to incorporate an improved version of the reminders functionality into the next release of FrontlineSMS due out later this year. 

I have passed your comments above onto our developers, and I will pass on these details of your latest testing too. Apologies again that I cannot be of more help on this particular issue.

Please do stay in touch and let us know if you have other questions / comments/ feedback.

All the Best

Flo

Florence,

I am getting an error message and FrontlineSMS is not opening.  This is the first time getting this message and unable to open.  I have tried to send report to support team but appears to not be sending.  The message is:

Fatal error starting FrontlineSMS!

Below is the Stack Trace that does not appear to be sending.  Any suggestions? 

class java.lang.RuntimeException :: Problem initialising application context.
    at net.frontlinesms.DesktopLauncher.initFrontline(DesktopLauncher.java:144)
    at net.frontlinesms.DesktopLauncher.main(DesktopLauncher.java:94)
Caused by: class org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException :: Error creating bean with name 'dataSource' defined in URL [file:C:/Users/EstudioPiloto/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/FrontlineSMS/properties/hsql.database.xml]: Error setting property values; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.PropertyBatchUpdateException; nested PropertyAccessExceptions (1) are:
PropertyAccessException 1: org.springframework.beans.MethodInvocationException: Property 'driverClassName' threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not load JDBC driver class [org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver]
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.applyPropertyValues(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1279)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.populateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1010)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:472)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:380)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:264)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:222)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:261)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:185)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:164)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:429)
    at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:728)
    at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:380)
    at net.frontlinesms.FrontlineSMS.initApplicationContext(FrontlineSMS.java:175)
    at net.frontlinesms.DesktopLauncher.initFrontline(DesktopLauncher.java:136)
Caused by: class org.springframework.beans.PropertyBatchUpdateException :: Failed properties: Property 'driverClassName' threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not load JDBC driver class [org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver]
    at org.springframework.beans.AbstractPropertyAccessor.setPropertyValues(AbstractPropertyAccessor.java:104)
    at org.springframework.beans.AbstractPropertyAccessor.setPropertyValues(AbstractPropertyAccessor.java:59)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.applyPropertyValues(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1276)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.populateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1010)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:472)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:380)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:264)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:222)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:261)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:185)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:164)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:429)
    at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:728)
    at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:380)
    at net.frontlinesms.FrontlineSMS.initApplicationContext(FrontlineSMS.java:175)
    at net.frontlinesms.DesktopLauncher.initFrontline(DesktopLauncher.java:136)

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your message here, and sorry to hear you are facing this problem. I hope that you find the information Alex has provided in response here helpful. Let us know how you get along.

Thanks

Flo

Hi

I am looking for correct citation information to use in publications.  e.g. programmer, publisher, city and other pertinent information.

Thank you

Sarah

RSS

© 2014   Created by FrontlineSMS Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service